Sunday, September 27, 2009

the Folly of Laundry and the beauty of dishes.

Here is my reply ladies. Read it and weep. It’s late, so just chalk all the typos up to bleary eyes and a tired mind… but I think I get the point across. Tawna, I love you… but dishes totally wins out. ;-) We may just be able to agree to disagree… but I might yet win a new convert.

No one really truly enjoys doing chores. Be it cleaning the house, taking out the trash, cleaning one’s room, doing the laundry, or even the dishes… there is always a certain amount of distaste for such work. This is to be understood, in a world of instant gratification people always desire to do what they want to do at the moment that they choose. Chores cause people to delay their plans for bigger and better things. With this in mind, I have to say that of all the house hold chores develop character and a sense of delaying what we want now for what needs to be done. This said, doing the Laundry is one of the worst. It demands time! (and a strong nose) First you have to sort your stinky smelly laundry into piles, (taking one pile and creating multiple smelly piles that each have to be dealt with in turn…) and it’s been what? Two, three weeks since you dropped in that pair of workout shorts that reeked when you dropped them in? Give them 2 weeks to ripen and let me tell you… you’re gunna need a close pin! Nobody likes that smell, and I mean no one. Of course you want to optimize your time, so you wait to do laundry to get a full load. Then come to find out that you waited too long and you can’t even fit what you wanted to in the washer. So either you pay for another machine (college students) or you have to wait even longer to do a second load of the same color when you have several other loads that need to be done anyways. Then you have 35-50 minutes before you have to be back to change the loads and put the now wet clothes in the dryer. Talk about inefficient and annoying. How about they make a washer dryer combo so you don’t have to drag out a bunch of wet clothes getting yourself all wet. (and inevitably dropping a sock or two on your ‘clean’ floor.) Once again you are waiting. Another 45 minutes to an hour waiting while the drying does its business. Are you done then? Nope! You now get to sit down and fold the plethora of clothes that then have to put away upstairs in their proper drawers. That’s what…. 2 hours for a load of laundry? Sure you feel good that you now have clean clothes to wear that smell nice and come out of the dryer all warm, (which only feels good in winter) but is it really worth the aggravation and time? I’m not even going to mention the hassle for most of the world who don’t even have the comfort of a washer or dryer. Don’t even get me started!

Now take a much more pleasant and enjoyable task, one like… oh I don’t know… of say doing the dishes! Of course some people are going to disagree, but cleaning the dishes is a therapeutic, aromatic, and self-satisfying endeavor. Yes it’s frustrating when you get home to see a kitchen full of dirty dishes that you didn’t dirty, and yes the kitchen always looks like a bomb shell went off when there are dirty dishes lying around. No one likes dirty dishes cluttering the house. So what do you do? You go change out of your nice clothes, dropping them in the dirty hamper which you haven’t even thought of because it’s only half full, and set out to clean the kitchen. You start with a dirty disaster that just makes you feel upset. Yet as you clean piece by piece… It’s like cleaning your attitude or washing to upsetting part of your day away. You get a satisfaction out of cleaning each plate and placing it in the dishwasher. Taking a smudged plate and making it look as good as new… there is something very satisfactory about that. You feel better once the dishwasher is loaded a running. You then set out to take care of the pots and pans. A little bit of soap and water some therapeutic scrubbing of the pans and the very satisfactory knowledge that that pan is Clean! You can dry them and put them away, wash the counters down… take a step back and look at what you have created, a beautiful kitchen just waiting to be used to make macaroni and cheese, a fig tart, or even chicken pillows. You feel GOOD with a sense of accomplishment. Your day is brighter, why? Because the kitchen is clean and how long did it take you? 20 minutes, 30 Tops. A little bit of physical work to clear out the negative of the day, a beautiful clean kitchen that just feels good, and it took a quarter of the time it takes to do one load of laundry.

10 comments:

  1. I loved this, expecially the part about it being "aromatic" and theraputic by scrubbing away the stain on that little dish to make it all clean! Washing the upsetting part of your day away sounded like so much fun I wanted to go down and start washing my dishes! (But I do agree with that part.) I could picture it perfectly, and almost wanted to hug the little clean dish, haha. Hilarious, and ALMOST convincing. :) Almost. ;)
    So time is your big thing huh? For me? -- sick dirty wet feeling. Ick. We can agree to disagree. I'll tell Dev and my Mom to check out your site and see what they say. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Keith but I am all about the laundry! It may take more time but you don't have to get your hands all dirty or burn them from the scalding hot water! Plus with laundry you get the satisfaction of having all your favorite clothes clean again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to do the math... 20-30 minutes Each day for dishes ,(for those people who can't put the dishes right into the dishwasher in the first place), 20-30 minutes each day times seven and you now have used more time then the once every two to three weeks (your time line) for laundry. All I can say is for either process, I'm glad we do have modern machines that make either "chore" much easier. Either way, the machines are only as good as they can be when people use them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you did dishes every night... It would only take you 10 minutes tops. (unless you are feeding an army)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! Looks like I win by the votes of my family! Or maybe that says something about who raised me and our preferences, and I am asking a biased audience......nah. :) Horray for the laundry! :) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there all! I have to say that I agree with Keith on this one! I've read both arguments and considered them equally, but I still can't seem to agree that laundry is better! I have frown up using the 'clean as you go' method, which means, that dish NEVER sits in the sink getting stinky or sticky or crusty and you simply have to run a little water on it and put it in the dishwasher! It takes me less than a minute after each meal when it's only me eating and about 3 minutes when it's my whole family since we put them in the dishwasher after each meal. Then you just have to start the dishwasher and eventually empty it which takes 5 minutes MAX!! Laundry on the other hand takes sooooo much time and I hate that when I am totally caught up on laundry I have to wait for s whole load to build up before I can be caught up again! Dishes can ALWAYS be caught up and clean but there will always be at least a half load of dirty clothes in the hamper! And the amount of time it takes to fold iron hang up and put away all those clothes us way too much! 100% agree with Keith HANDS DOWN! Even when you have to wash pits and pans by hand, I still prefer dishes to laundry ANY day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! I just re-read my comment and there are all sorts of typos!! I typed it on my iPhone and it subbed in the wrong words for things like "pits and pans" instead of pots and pans! Lol! and "frown up" instead of "grown up" Oh well, you get the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, Nell. I wondered whatever in the world you meant by "frown up" haha. I thought perhaaaps it was a strange saying you used with your kids to mean something like smile, but couldn't quite tell or make it out. :) I think I can see your point. But even with similar rules to yours in my apartments, roommates generally tend not to follow them. :( At least the laundry is all of my own making.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, this is way too funny! I was so excited when I JUST found Tawna's blog from Devon's. I read back a little to catch up because I miss my wonderful cousin and came across your cute rebuttle! So funny! I've actually always hated doing dishes. I think plates with people's left of food stuck to them is just yucky!!! BUT after reading your post, I think you win! Especially if we are talking laundry at a laundry mat. No fun and yes stinky! :-) Fun to see you guys in the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah kids, why am I just finding Keith and Tawnas blogs for the first time tonight!!!???? Hello I need to know about these things!! Keith you are a REAL man getting into the blogging thing...kudos to you! Heres what I think, I have machines that make both dishes and laundry a cinch and I never get my hands wet doing either. Hello scrub brushes for stains on clothes or dishes. What I hate is putting it all away, oh so tedious!!

    ReplyDelete